Mamata meddling in GTA functioning: Roshan Giri
Ranchi: Gorkha Janmukti Morcha president Roshan Giri on Monday accused West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee of meddling in the day-to-day affairs of Gorkhaland Territorial Administration.
"There is interference in the day-to-day functioning in the affairs of Gorkhaland Territorial Administration by her (Mamata Banerjee)," Giri told PTI here.
When asked to elaborate, he said, "Say, land is a transport subject. She came and she distributed the pattas. Tourism is under transport sector, but her interference was in that sector too."
As per the agreement, he said the GTA should have an officer of the rank of Principal Secretary to the government of West Bengal, but the DM has been given additional charge.
"Soumitra Mohan, who happens to be a junior batch IAS officer, could not perform," he claimed, adding, Mohan`s posting was also one of the reasons for their strained relations with the state government.
"In this way, things didn`t materialise, and relations with the state government did not go properly," he said, adding, "So many things are yet to be transferred to the GTA".
Expressing dissatisfaction at the chief minister`s comments, he said, "Mamata Banerjee went to North Bengal Festival where she spoke against Gorkhaland, which had triggered anger among the people, and they protested."
"And then she announced Lepcha Development Board, which is
under Backward Class Welfare Department, which should be under the GTA. We want Lepcha Development Board under the GTA," he said.
He, however, said the central government has been cooperative, and that the GJM has been holding rallies at government offices and in New Delhi for Gorkhaland. The agitation has entered the 64th day, he said.
Giri said he was here to meet Jharkhand Mukti Morcha chief Shibu Soren tomorrow to discuss an alliance with his party in the panchayat elections in Jalpaiguri, particularly in the Dooars region where a substantial section of tribals are residing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how