Mamata move to bring back body of Sushmita Banerjee from Afghanistan
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has taken an initiative to bring back the body of slain author Sushmita Banerjee to Kolkata from Afghanistan.
State government officials have already in touch with External Affairs Ministry on her instruction in this regard, Trinamool Congress general secretary Mukul Roy told a news agency.
Roy today said the author`s brother Gopal Banerjee met him during the day on hearing that the state government had moved External Affairs Ministry officials so that her mortal remains were brought back to the city.
"I arranged an appointment of Gopal Banerjee with the Chief Minister`s secretary Gautam Sanyal with regard to bringing the body of Sushmita Banerjee," he said.
Gopal Banerjee had told a news agency yesterday that the family had contacted the External Affairs Ministry pleading that the body be brought to Kolkata.
Sushmita Banerjee, whose memoir about her dramatic escape from the clutches of Taliban was made a Bollywood film, was killed outside her home in eastern Paktika province on September 04 suspectedly by the Taliban.
She was married to Afghan businessman Jaanbaz Khan and recently moved back to Afghanistan to live with him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi