Mamata move to bring back body of Sushmita Banerjee from Afghanistan
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has taken an initiative to bring back the body of slain author Sushmita Banerjee to Kolkata from Afghanistan.
State government officials have already in touch with External Affairs Ministry on her instruction in this regard, Trinamool Congress general secretary Mukul Roy told a news agency.
Roy today said the author`s brother Gopal Banerjee met him during the day on hearing that the state government had moved External Affairs Ministry officials so that her mortal remains were brought back to the city.
"I arranged an appointment of Gopal Banerjee with the Chief Minister`s secretary Gautam Sanyal with regard to bringing the body of Sushmita Banerjee," he said.
Gopal Banerjee had told a news agency yesterday that the family had contacted the External Affairs Ministry pleading that the body be brought to Kolkata.
Sushmita Banerjee, whose memoir about her dramatic escape from the clutches of Taliban was made a Bollywood film, was killed outside her home in eastern Paktika province on September 04 suspectedly by the Taliban.
She was married to Afghan businessman Jaanbaz Khan and recently moved back to Afghanistan to live with him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living