Mamata opposed to CBI inquiry: Leader of Opposition
Burdwan: Senior CPI(M) leader Surya Kanta Mishra on Friday alleged that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to a CBI investigation into the chit fund scam as it would reveal links of `a dozen` of her partymen.
"Those running Ponzi schemes provided funds to the ruling Trinamool Congress and a dozen MPs and MLAs would be in trouble if a CBI investigation was conducted," Mishra, the Leader of Opposition alleged at a meeting here to protest yesterday`s assault on party workers.
"They had a give and take relationship," he claimed.
The setting up of a SIT and an inquiry commission into the Saradha chit fund scam was aimed at stalling a CBI investigation, he said.
The Chief Minister`s claim yesterday that she had learnt about the Saradha scam only on April 15 this year, was not correct as her brother Kartick had told a tv channel that he had warned against Ponzi schemes a year ago, Mishra said.
Also, when the Prime Minister had visited Kolkata on August 22, 2011, a memorandum on chit funds was submitted to him by the CPI(M) and copies were sent to the Chief Minister and the state finance minister, he said.
A CBI investigation was all the more necessary, he added, since the scam had spread to several states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly