Mamata opposed to CBI inquiry: Leader of Opposition
Burdwan: Senior CPI(M) leader Surya Kanta Mishra on Friday alleged that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was opposed to a CBI investigation into the chit fund scam as it would reveal links of `a dozen` of her partymen.
"Those running Ponzi schemes provided funds to the ruling Trinamool Congress and a dozen MPs and MLAs would be in trouble if a CBI investigation was conducted," Mishra, the Leader of Opposition alleged at a meeting here to protest yesterday`s assault on party workers.
"They had a give and take relationship," he claimed.
The setting up of a SIT and an inquiry commission into the Saradha chit fund scam was aimed at stalling a CBI investigation, he said.
The Chief Minister`s claim yesterday that she had learnt about the Saradha scam only on April 15 this year, was not correct as her brother Kartick had told a tv channel that he had warned against Ponzi schemes a year ago, Mishra said.
Also, when the Prime Minister had visited Kolkata on August 22, 2011, a memorandum on chit funds was submitted to him by the CPI(M) and copies were sent to the Chief Minister and the state finance minister, he said.
A CBI investigation was all the more necessary, he added, since the scam had spread to several states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends