Mamata orders closure of two fund-raising companies
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday ordered the closure within 24 hours of two fund-raising companies which had two or three sister concerns.
"We have given instructions to close the two companies in 24 hours and we are keeping an eye on other such companies," the chief minister told reporters in the Assembly lobby after her speech in the House during the passage of the new investors` interest protection bill.
In her thanksgiving speech after the passage of the West Bengal Protection of Interest of Depositors in Financial Establishment Bill, 2013 in the House, the chief minister said that the state government was studying the list of 73 rogue financial companies given by the Centre.
Stating that the new bill was a timely step, she claimed that the day would be remembered in history not only in Bengal, but in the entire country and the world.
Banerjee said that her government took immediate action as soon as the scam came to its notice.
Mistakes are made, but could be rectified, she said.
Banerjee thanked the President for returning the previous bill to help the state government to introduce strong legislation to rein in chitfund companies.
So long as the old bill was not withdrawn, it was difficult to cope with the situation, she claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- Myanmar quake damages nearly 400 ancient temples
- Amazon launches dedicated online Telugu book store
- Explore London through the lens of Kapil Sharma and team!
- Typhoon to hit Japan on Tuesday; meteorological agency issues warnings
- From Kanpur to Varanasi in 10 days: 11-year-old Shraddha Shukla attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga