Mamata orders closure of two fund-raising companies
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday ordered the closure within 24 hours of two fund-raising companies which had two or three sister concerns.
"We have given instructions to close the two companies in 24 hours and we are keeping an eye on other such companies," the chief minister told reporters in the Assembly lobby after her speech in the House during the passage of the new investors` interest protection bill.
In her thanksgiving speech after the passage of the West Bengal Protection of Interest of Depositors in Financial Establishment Bill, 2013 in the House, the chief minister said that the state government was studying the list of 73 rogue financial companies given by the Centre.
Stating that the new bill was a timely step, she claimed that the day would be remembered in history not only in Bengal, but in the entire country and the world.
Banerjee said that her government took immediate action as soon as the scam came to its notice.
Mistakes are made, but could be rectified, she said.
Banerjee thanked the President for returning the previous bill to help the state government to introduce strong legislation to rein in chitfund companies.
So long as the old bill was not withdrawn, it was difficult to cope with the situation, she claimed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!