Mamata promises stern action against rapists
Kolkata: Faced with a rise in incidents of rape in the state and criticism by opposition parties for not doing much, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said her government will take stern action against the accused and not tolerate atrocities against women.
"We will take strict action against rapists. We will not tolerate any crime against women," she said while addressing a party rally at the Brigade Parade Ground here.
She also slammed the Centre for taking away a major chunk of the state`s earning for servicing the huge debt of more than Rs two lakh crore.
"The central government is taking away all the money. In the first year after we came to power, our income was Rs 21,000 crore and Rs 20,000 crore was deducted.
In the second year, the income was Rs 31,000 crore, but more than Rs 25,000 crore was debited while in the third year the income would be Rs 40,000 crore and the Centre would take away Rs 28,000 crore," she said.
She held the Congress government responsible for the situation as it allowed the previous Left Front government to take such huge loans.
She also attacked the CPI(M) for allowing chit fund companies to mushroom in the state.
"The CPI(M) has allowed the chit fund companies to mushroom in the state and reaped the benefits by filling their own pockets. We have taken strict action against the chit fund companies. We have arrested the culprits," Mamata said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra