Mamata promises to overhaul govt healthcare system in one year
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her government has taken a one-year
programme to overhaul the healthcare system in the state which
is currently in a "pitiable condition".
"I have taken a one-year programme to overhaul the
system which is in a pitiable condition," Banerjee, who also
holds the health portfolio, told reporters here.
"Four new super-speciality hospitals will be set up by
a central organisation in Purulia, Bankura, West Midnapore and
Birbhum districts," she said, adding that the state would
provide land. One neuro speciality hospital would also be set
up near Rajarhat here on a 20-acre land.
Banerjee said creating a proper health infrastructure
in the state was the government`s priority. Short, mid and
long term programmes spanning over five years were being taken
for the purpose.
She said that the Calcutta Medical College, which now
has 1200 beds, would add 700 more in one year. Of these, 300
beds would be added very soon.
She also said that the Mayo Hospital in the city would
be converted for exclusive orthopaedic treatment.
Banerjee said while new district hospitals would be
set up to help people get treatment locally, facilities at
primary health centres would also be augmented.
Several modern diagnostic centres would also be set up
in different parts of the state, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends