Mamata promises to overhaul govt healthcare system in one year
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said her government has taken a one-year
programme to overhaul the healthcare system in the state which
is currently in a "pitiable condition".
"I have taken a one-year programme to overhaul the
system which is in a pitiable condition," Banerjee, who also
holds the health portfolio, told reporters here.
"Four new super-speciality hospitals will be set up by
a central organisation in Purulia, Bankura, West Midnapore and
Birbhum districts," she said, adding that the state would
provide land. One neuro speciality hospital would also be set
up near Rajarhat here on a 20-acre land.
Banerjee said creating a proper health infrastructure
in the state was the government`s priority. Short, mid and
long term programmes spanning over five years were being taken
for the purpose.
She said that the Calcutta Medical College, which now
has 1200 beds, would add 700 more in one year. Of these, 300
beds would be added very soon.
She also said that the Mayo Hospital in the city would
be converted for exclusive orthopaedic treatment.
Banerjee said while new district hospitals would be
set up to help people get treatment locally, facilities at
primary health centres would also be augmented.
Several modern diagnostic centres would also be set up
in different parts of the state, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!