Mamata proposes separate council for Lepchas, Gurung disposes
Kalimpong: After ruling out division of West Bengal, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday hinted at formation of a separate development body for Lepchas and Buddhists, prompting GJM chief Bimal Gurung to allege that she was trying to drive a wedge among communities in the region.
The hint came during a visit to Alagarh in Kalimpong sub-division where she talked to representatives of the local Lepcha community.
The chief minister also visited a Buddhist monastery in Lava and talked to the monks there where she reiterated her proposal for a separate development council (for Lepchas and Buddhists), sources close to her said.
"She is trying to set a divide and rule policy for the hills. She is discriminating between the Lepchas and the Gorkhas," said Gurung, who had agreed to the GTA following a recent tripartite agreement but is now demanding a separate Gorkhaland state taking a cue from Telengana stir.
The Lepchas, considered the original inhabitants of the hills, make up 20 per cent of its population. The formation of a Lepcha development council was a long-standing demand to which the Mamata Banerjee-led government has agreed in principle.
The Lepchas have no territorial demand and want the council to be formed to preserve the community’s culture and work for its general uplift.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself