Mamata questions efficacy of joint operations at Lalgarh
Kolkata: Expressing shock over the killing of two police officers and abduction of another cop by Maoists in West Midnapore, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee
today questioned the efficacy of the joint operations at Lalgarh.
"Whatever has happened in Sankrail is shocking and unfortunate. No one can support abduction of policemen or any one else and killings. But at the same time one must ponder over what benefit the joint operations by the central paramilitary forces and the state police has brought," she told reporters here.
"The question is uppermost in the mind when one considers the spate of incidents that have been taking place since the operations have begun... Yesterday`s incident at Sankaril has clearly shown whether the joint operations at Lalgarh is beneficial or detrimental. The Centre should investigate this," the railway minister said.
"We (TC) want the abducted police official return his home safe," Banerjee, who has stepped up pressure on the Centre to withdraw central forces from the trouble-torn area, said.
She had earlier claimed that the presence of central forces was only helping the CPI(M) at Lalgarh which is using it for turf control.
Maoists yesterday shot dead two police officers and kidnapped the officer-in-charge of Sankrail police station in West Midnapore district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire