Mamata questions efficacy of joint operations at Lalgarh
Kolkata: Expressing shock over the killing of two police officers and abduction of another cop by Maoists in West Midnapore, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee
today questioned the efficacy of the joint operations at Lalgarh.
"Whatever has happened in Sankrail is shocking and unfortunate. No one can support abduction of policemen or any one else and killings. But at the same time one must ponder over what benefit the joint operations by the central paramilitary forces and the state police has brought," she told reporters here.
"The question is uppermost in the mind when one considers the spate of incidents that have been taking place since the operations have begun... Yesterday`s incident at Sankaril has clearly shown whether the joint operations at Lalgarh is beneficial or detrimental. The Centre should investigate this," the railway minister said.
"We (TC) want the abducted police official return his home safe," Banerjee, who has stepped up pressure on the Centre to withdraw central forces from the trouble-torn area, said.
She had earlier claimed that the presence of central forces was only helping the CPI(M) at Lalgarh which is using it for turf control.
Maoists yesterday shot dead two police officers and kidnapped the officer-in-charge of Sankrail police station in West Midnapore district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday