Mamata questions funding for food bill
Kolkata: Raising questions on funding for
the National Food Security bill, West Bengal Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said monetary provision for state
governments to fund it should be ensured, failing which it
could not be implemented.
"In the food security bill there is no monetary
provision. We have to arrange the monetary provision,
otherwise it cannot be implemented," she said during an
interaction with a group of journalists.
Stating that any move to decontrol the price of diesel
and hike the price of LPG would be opposed by her party,
Banerjee said "I am worried about the people."
She said she had also requested the Prime Minister not to
withdraw the subsidy on fertiliser.
"Farmers are our asset. The Centre should not withdraw
the subsidy on fertiliser," she said.
The Chief Minister said she would meet the Planning
Commission early next month to submit requirements of the
Banerjee said that she would plead for declaring
Darjeeling and Coochbehar as backward districts.
"While Sikkim receives 95 per cent subsidy from the
Centre, why not Darjeeling?" she asked.
She also called for districts like North 24 Parganas
which have considerable minority population, to be included in
the list of backward districts.
She reiterated her government`s intention for
reorgansiation of districts like in UP, on the ground that
division of districts would help to secure more funds from the
"I feel four more districts should be created in our
state for better administrative purposes," Banerjee said.
She said three commissionerates have been created to curb
the crime rate, while 65 women police stations and three CBI
courts have been set up.
Banerjee dwelt at length on her government`s steps to
create more employment opportunities (2.75 lakh government
jobs) after assuming power in May last year.
"We have to look more at industry and also lay more
stress on agriculture," she said.
She said with agricultural production up in the
state, her government was eager to export rice to Bangladesh.
"We have opened six channels for export to
Bangladesh," she said.
"I want export of our agricultural produce to US and
other countries," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!