Mamata rejects SEC`s demand for forces in panchayat polls
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday rejected the State Election Commission`s demand for 1.49 lakh security forces for the first phase of panchayat polls scheduled next month, saying the state did not have requisite forces at its disposal.
"You are saying that that 1.49 lakh forces are required (in the first phase of polling). Where will we get it given the availability of forces in the state? We do not have that much of forces, how could we give it?" she told reporters here in an oblique reference to the State Election Commission`s demand.
Banerjee said the state lacked adequate forces and added, "After my government came to power, we had recruited 40,000 personnel in state forces. There were not enough forces in the state at all when we took office (in 2011)."
The State Election Commission has said that it is still in the dark about the availability of security forces, and added that the government would be held responsible if the panchayat polls are not held as per schedule.
The three-phase panchayat elections in the state is slated to begin from July 2.
State Election Commissioner Mira Pandey said a communication would be made to the state government by today seeking a final clarification on the availability of forces to ensure the panchayat polls scheduled for July 2 were conducted freely and fairly and in a peaceful manner.
She said that after receiving the government`s reply to its communication on force availability, the poll panel would chalk out its next course of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide