Mamata rubbishes reports of negligence towards minorities
Amdanga: Rubbishing allegations of negligence being meted out towards the minority community, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said the state government had already completed nearly 90 percent of the recommendations made by Sachar Committee for their welfare.
"We have already worked and completed 90 percent of the recommendations of Sachar Committee for the development of minorities of the state. Only 10 percent work is left and we will complete it soon," she said at a programme here.
Mamata had met Justice Sachar after she was voted to power to discuss ways for development of the minorities.
Banerjee`s comments come two days after a Muslim religious leader from West Bengal had snubbed her claims that her government had completed most of the developmental works it had promised before coming to power.
"I don`t want to comment on what others are saying. In 2012 we have recruited 1,000 home guards, out of which 198 are from minority community, which is 19.8 percent," she said and brushed aside allegations that there was little representation of Muslims in state government jobs under the Trinamool regime.
She also said, "In 2012 we have recruited 54 persons under West Bengal Judicial services out of which 9 are from the minority community which is 16.6 per cent. Did this happen during Left regime?"
Banerjee cautioned people to maintain peace among communities as unruly elements have been trying to create problem in the state.
"My dear brothers, we all should always maintain peace and harmony among ourselves as unruly elements are always trying to create trouble," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India