Mamata rubbishes reports of negligence towards minorities
Amdanga: Rubbishing allegations of negligence being meted out towards the minority community, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said the state government had already completed nearly 90 percent of the recommendations made by Sachar Committee for their welfare.
"We have already worked and completed 90 percent of the recommendations of Sachar Committee for the development of minorities of the state. Only 10 percent work is left and we will complete it soon," she said at a programme here.
Mamata had met Justice Sachar after she was voted to power to discuss ways for development of the minorities.
Banerjee`s comments come two days after a Muslim religious leader from West Bengal had snubbed her claims that her government had completed most of the developmental works it had promised before coming to power.
"I don`t want to comment on what others are saying. In 2012 we have recruited 1,000 home guards, out of which 198 are from minority community, which is 19.8 percent," she said and brushed aside allegations that there was little representation of Muslims in state government jobs under the Trinamool regime.
She also said, "In 2012 we have recruited 54 persons under West Bengal Judicial services out of which 9 are from the minority community which is 16.6 per cent. Did this happen during Left regime?"
Banerjee cautioned people to maintain peace among communities as unruly elements have been trying to create problem in the state.
"My dear brothers, we all should always maintain peace and harmony among ourselves as unruly elements are always trying to create trouble," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?