Mamata rubbishes reports of negligence towards minorities
Amdanga: Rubbishing allegations of negligence being meted out towards the minority community, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said the state government had already completed nearly 90 percent of the recommendations made by Sachar Committee for their welfare.
"We have already worked and completed 90 per cent of the recommendations of Sachar Committee for the development of minorities of the state. Only 10 per cent work is left and we will complete it soon," she said at a programme here.
Mamata had met Justice Sachar after she was voted to power to discuss ways for development of the minorities.
Banerjee`s comments come two days after a Muslim religious leader from West Bengal had snubbed her claims that her government had completed most of the developmental works it had promised before coming to power.
"I don`t want to comment on what others are saying. In 2012 we have recruited 1,000 home guards, out of which 198 are from minority community, which is 19.8 percent," she said and brushed aside allegations that there was little representation of Muslims in state government jobs under the Trinamool regime.
She also said, "In 2012 we have recruited 54 persons under West Bengal Judicial services out of which 9 are from the minority community which is 16.6 per cent. Did this happen during Left regime?"
Banerjee cautioned people to maintain peace among communities as unruly elements have been trying to create problem in the state.
"My dear brothers, we all should always maintain peace and harmony among ourselves as unruly elements are always trying to create trouble," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi