Mamata rubbishes reports of negligence towards minorities
Amdanga: Rubbishing allegations of negligence being meted out towards the minority community, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said the state government had already completed nearly 90 percent of the recommendations made by Sachar Committee for their welfare.
"We have already worked and completed 90 per cent of the recommendations of Sachar Committee for the development of minorities of the state. Only 10 per cent work is left and we will complete it soon," she said at a programme here.
Mamata had met Justice Sachar after she was voted to power to discuss ways for development of the minorities.
Banerjee`s comments come two days after a Muslim religious leader from West Bengal had snubbed her claims that her government had completed most of the developmental works it had promised before coming to power.
"I don`t want to comment on what others are saying. In 2012 we have recruited 1,000 home guards, out of which 198 are from minority community, which is 19.8 percent," she said and brushed aside allegations that there was little representation of Muslims in state government jobs under the Trinamool regime.
She also said, "In 2012 we have recruited 54 persons under West Bengal Judicial services out of which 9 are from the minority community which is 16.6 per cent. Did this happen during Left regime?"
Banerjee cautioned people to maintain peace among communities as unruly elements have been trying to create problem in the state.
"My dear brothers, we all should always maintain peace and harmony among ourselves as unruly elements are always trying to create trouble," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Why are people going so crazy over Reliance Jio test SIM
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China