Mamata rules out agreeing to Teesta treaty
Mathabhangha (WB): West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday made it clear that her government would agree to the India-Bangladesh Teesta water sharing treaty only after getting nod for it from the people of north Bengal and never at the cost of the region drying up.
"I will agree if people of Coochbehar give a green signal. Otherwise not. I will agree to it if people of north Bengal want it. I will not allow it to happen at any cost by drying up north Bengal," she said at a panchayat election meeting in north Bengal`s Coochbehar district bordering Bangladesh.
"Till I am there I will not allow any atrocity committed or deprivation caused to the people of north Bengal," Banerjee said.
After coming to power in 2011, the Trinamool Congress government in West Bengal had appointed an expert committee to study the Teesta water-sharing issue under the chairmanship of river expert Kalyan Rudra.
Banerjee had pulled out from the Prime Minister`s entourage for the Dhaka trip in 2011 on the issue.
She had earned the displeasure of both the UPA government and Bangladesh for refusing to share Teesta water with the neighbouring country.
The river, which originates in north Sikkim as a trickle, runs through almost the entire length of the state and widens as it plunges into the plains of north Bengal at Sevoke Bazar, 20 km from Siliguri.
It flows through Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri and Cooch Behar districts before entering Bangladesh to merge with the Brahmaputra.
The river crosses Rajganj, Sadar and Mainaguri blocks of Jalpaiguri and Mekhliganj and Haldibari blocks of Cooch Behar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in