Mamata rules out separation of Darjeeling from Bengal
Darjeeling: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday asserted that Darjeeling Hills would remain part of West Bengal, even as a section of Gorkha Janmukti Morcha supporters raised slogans demanding a separate state during inauguration of North Bengal Festival.
"Let us remain together, Darjeeling is part of Bengal and we will remain together," Banerjee said at a colourful programme at the picturesque Mall here in the presence of GJM president and Gorkhaland Territorial Authority (GTA) chief executive Bimal Gurung.
"There should not be further trouble as that would hamper development again," she said while addressing the gathering.
But things went awry as a section of GJM supporters raised slogans and displayed posters demanding Gorkhaland at the fag end of her brief address.
A visibly angry Banerjee stood up and warned protesters not to raise such political slogans at the programme and asked them to do so at party forum.
"Please remember this is not a party programme, this is a government programme. I am very rough and tough in such issues," the chief minister warned.
"You are free to give political slogans at party programmes, but this is a government programme and such slogans cannot be raised here," she said.
"Please do not give wrong message so that people will think Darjeeling is again going for problem," Banerjee said as Gurung sat beside her on the stage.
Banerjee then left the stage and went on to sit among the spectators even as the GJM supporters were waving their green, white and yellow-coloured party flags.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack