Mamata should first fulfill her duties as CM: Congress
Kolkata: Mocking Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee`s `Delhi Chalo` call, Congress on Friday said she should first learn to fulfill her duties as Chief Minister and only then dream of becoming Prime Minister.
"She can always dream of becoming the PM - anybody can dream about it. But before dreaming of becoming PM, she should learn to fullfill her duties as chief minister. The state government has failed to provide security to women and common man," Congress MP and Union Minister Deepa Dasmunsi said.
"The dream of becoming PM should be kept aside and steps should be taken to provide security to the women. The incident of rapes and attrocities against women have become a daily affair in Bengal," said Dasmunsi on the sidelines of a hunger strike by Congress in demand of AIIMS hopsital in Raiganj, her constituency.
Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed Khan attacked Banerjee for her comment on `ending monarchy` and said her knowledge about Indian history was weak as monarchy came to an end in 1947 with the end of Britsh rule.
"What monarchy is she taking about? In India it is democratic rule. But in this democratic rule if someone is trying to bring in monarchy and dictatorship, then it is Mamata Banerjee`s government."
Khan also took a dig at Banerjee for not coming out clean on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. "Mamata Banerjee is dreaming of becoming PM. She is yet to come out clean on Narendra Modi.
Both Narendra Modi and Rajnath Singh have praised Banerjee, everybody knows the meaning." Somen Mitra, who has recently defected from TMC, said "Even if Trinamool wins all the 42 seats I can`t understand how she will play a deciding factor as the Lok Sabha consists of more than 500 seats."
Kickstarting her party`s campaign for the LS election at a rally here yesterday, Banerjee, who had shared power earlier with NDA and UPA at the Centre, attacked both saying "we do not want dynastic rule, nor do we want a government of rioters at the Centre".
Renewing her call for a federal front of non-Congress and non-BJP political parties, Banerjee had yesterday lashed out at BJP saying her party does not want `a government of rioters` and announced that TMC would go it alone in the coming Lok Sabha election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi