Mamata should not pull out ministers, withdraw support: WBPCC
Kolkata: West Bengal Congress on Thursday said Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee should stop criticising the Centre and reconsider her party`s decision to pull out its ministers from the UPA government and withdraw support.
"There is scope for reconsidering the decision. Why are they going to resign from the (union) ministry on the FDI issue? Was there any reason? Let her stop criticising the Centre and hold talks," WBPCC President Pradip Bhattacharya, told a press conference here.
Strongly pitching for the Centre`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail, he said there was no reason to believe that the poor would benefit if FDI was not given entry.
"Farmers have to sell their produce to middlemen. Both farmers and the consumers are affected by middlemen. What is the harm if their produce is procured by FDI?" he asked.
The PCC chief said the TMC, in its poll manifesto, had mentioned that there would be `infiltration` of big capital by domestic and foreign, in retail trade and should have stopped it if they were opposed to it.
Asked whether the Congress, an ally in the TMC-led state government, would pull out from the ministry, Bhattacharya replied, "Our ministers did not attend the cabinet meeting yesterday. WBPCC will convene a meeting and discuss the issue and convey its feelings to the party high command."
On TMC chief`s statement that her party was not consulted by the UPA government before taking decisions on diesel price hike, capping of LPG cylinders and FDI issue, he said, "I don`t know what transpired in the union cabinet or outside it. But the Mamata Banerjee-government never consulted us on any issue."
The PCC president said the state government would gain Rs 390 crore from the hike in diesel price in the form of tax and said it should forgo it and pass the benefit to the consumers.
Bhattacharya also alleged adequate measures were not taken by the state government to foil the NDA and Left-sponsored bandh today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi