Mamata takes oath as MLA
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Thursday took oath as member of the state Legislative
Assembly to officially enter the House nearly two months after
winning a by-poll.
Speaker Biman Banerjee administered the oath of office
and secrecy to Banerjee at the Nausher Ali hall where deputy
Speaker Sonali Guha, besides some cabinet ministers, Leader of
Opposition Suryakanta Mishra, some Left Front members and
Union minister of state for urban development Saugata Roy were
Along with Banerjee, Trinamool Congress` ATM Abdullah,
who was elected to the House from Basirhat (North)
constituency, also took oath as member of the Assembly.
Mishra congratulated Banerjee after her swearing-in and
presented her a bouquet which she reciprocated.
The chief minister was also congratulated by Front
members including Anisur Rehman and Probodh Sinha who
It was Mamata Banerjee`s official entry into the House
after she humbled CPI(M)`s Nandini Mukherjee by over 54,000
votes in the by-election from Bhowanipore constituency on
The seat fell vacant after Subrata Bakshi, transport
minister, resigned to pave the way for Banerjee to contest the
Banerjee also nominated Bakshi to contest from Kolkata
south Lok Sabha constituency after her resignation from the
seat with her election from Bhowanipore Assembly seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BRICS Employment Working Group to meet on July 27-28
- Dozens injured in fresh protests as police foil separatist march in Kashmir
- Cristiano Ronaldo meets Conor McGregor in the ring – See what happened next!
- Rahguram Rajan's continuance would have benefited India: Subbarao
- Central Government plays waiting game as Wrestling Federation backs dope-tainted Narsingh Yadav