Mamata terms Sudipto`s death as `small and petty` incident
Kolkata/Bangalore: With SFI supporters holding protests in West Bengal over the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday stoked further controversy by terming the death as a "small and petty" incident.
"It is a small and petty matter. It was an accident, there was no police atrocity. You can see the post-mortem report," she said in Bangalore where she went to confer West Bengal`s prestigious Vishes Sangeet Mahasamman award on eminent playback singer Manna Dey.
In sharp contrast, Joint Commissioner (Hqs) Javed Shamim appealed to the media not to jump to conclusion as the investigation was on.
"Our appeal to media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the entire incident is being projected is not right," he said, adding the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to a head injury received from a blunt object.
Declining to comment on the cause of the death of the SFI leader, Governor M K Narayanan said, "I don`t make any comment ... Don`t fuel unnecessary speculation."
conclusion as unwarranted.
"The police said when investigation is on don`t jump to any conclusion, but she has reached a conclusion," senior CPI(M) leader Surjya Kanta Mishra, who is the Leader of the Opposition, said.
"Such comments are unwarranted and we reiterate our demand for a judicial inquiry into Sudipto Gupta`s death," he said.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya said "The police
said that the investigation is on. Doesn`t she know it? I did not expect this kind of statement from her.
"She comments on all matters. She is in the habit of making such comments. If it is done, what is the importance of investigations? I condemn her comments," he said.
Meanwhile, the SFI organised roadblocks and called a student strike in the state, while the CPI (M)called a 12-hour shutdown at Garia and Tollygunj in south Kolkata where Gupta lived and studied during his school and college days.
Commenting on the strikes and agitation, the chief minister told reporters in Bangalore "Why? for what purpose?"
Processions were taken out by the SFI in various parts of the state condemning the alleged police action on Gupta, an MA student at the Rabindra Bharati University, who died while being taken to jail following a law violation programme on Tuesday.
SFI supporters blocked roads here and elswhere in the state for 15 minutes at 11:00 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das