Mamata terms Sudipto`s death as `small and petty` incident
Kolkata/Bangalore: With SFI supporters holding protests in West Bengal over the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday stoked further controversy by terming the death as a "small and petty" incident.
"It is a small and petty matter. It was an accident, there was no police atrocity. You can see the post-mortem report," she said in Bangalore where she went to confer West Bengal`s prestigious Vishes Sangeet Mahasamman award on eminent playback singer Manna Dey.
In sharp contrast, Joint Commissioner (Hqs) Javed Shamim appealed to the media not to jump to conclusion as the investigation was on.
"Our appeal to media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the entire incident is being projected is not right," he said, adding the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to a head injury received from a blunt object.
Declining to comment on the cause of the death of the SFI leader, Governor M K Narayanan said, "I don`t make any comment ... Don`t fuel unnecessary speculation."
conclusion as unwarranted.
"The police said when investigation is on don`t jump to any conclusion, but she has reached a conclusion," senior CPI(M) leader Surjya Kanta Mishra, who is the Leader of the Opposition, said.
"Such comments are unwarranted and we reiterate our demand for a judicial inquiry into Sudipto Gupta`s death," he said.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya said "The police
said that the investigation is on. Doesn`t she know it? I did not expect this kind of statement from her.
"She comments on all matters. She is in the habit of making such comments. If it is done, what is the importance of investigations? I condemn her comments," he said.
Meanwhile, the SFI organised roadblocks and called a student strike in the state, while the CPI (M)called a 12-hour shutdown at Garia and Tollygunj in south Kolkata where Gupta lived and studied during his school and college days.
Commenting on the strikes and agitation, the chief minister told reporters in Bangalore "Why? for what purpose?"
Processions were taken out by the SFI in various parts of the state condemning the alleged police action on Gupta, an MA student at the Rabindra Bharati University, who died while being taken to jail following a law violation programme on Tuesday.
SFI supporters blocked roads here and elswhere in the state for 15 minutes at 11:00 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India