Mamata terms Sudipto`s death as `small and petty` incident
Kolkata/Bangalore: With SFI supporters holding protests in West Bengal over the death of SFI leader Sudipto Gupta, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday stoked further controversy by terming the death as a "small and petty" incident.
"It is a small and petty matter. It was an accident, there was no police atrocity. You can see the post-mortem report," she said in Bangalore where she went to confer West Bengal`s prestigious Vishes Sangeet Mahasamman award on eminent playback singer Manna Dey.
In sharp contrast, Joint Commissioner (Hqs) Javed Shamim appealed to the media not to jump to conclusion as the investigation was on.
"Our appeal to media is please don`t jump to a conclusion because the way the entire incident is being projected is not right," he said, adding the preliminary autopsy report had suggested that the death was due to a head injury received from a blunt object.
Declining to comment on the cause of the death of the SFI leader, Governor M K Narayanan said, "I don`t make any comment ... Don`t fuel unnecessary speculation."
conclusion as unwarranted.
"The police said when investigation is on don`t jump to any conclusion, but she has reached a conclusion," senior CPI(M) leader Surjya Kanta Mishra, who is the Leader of the Opposition, said.
"Such comments are unwarranted and we reiterate our demand for a judicial inquiry into Sudipto Gupta`s death," he said.
WBPCC president Pradip Bhattacharya said "The police
said that the investigation is on. Doesn`t she know it? I did not expect this kind of statement from her.
"She comments on all matters. She is in the habit of making such comments. If it is done, what is the importance of investigations? I condemn her comments," he said.
Meanwhile, the SFI organised roadblocks and called a student strike in the state, while the CPI (M)called a 12-hour shutdown at Garia and Tollygunj in south Kolkata where Gupta lived and studied during his school and college days.
Commenting on the strikes and agitation, the chief minister told reporters in Bangalore "Why? for what purpose?"
Processions were taken out by the SFI in various parts of the state condemning the alleged police action on Gupta, an MA student at the Rabindra Bharati University, who died while being taken to jail following a law violation programme on Tuesday.
SFI supporters blocked roads here and elswhere in the state for 15 minutes at 11:00 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Gujjars revive agitation for 5% quota in jobs, block rail track
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced