Mamata to announce special package for Jangalmahal
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Monday left for a two-day visit to Maoist-hit
Jangalmahal where she is scheduled to announce a special
package for the people of the region and review the situation.
Last Friday, the chief minister had discussed about a
development roadmap for the three Maoist-hit districts of West
Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia, which make up the Jangalmahal,
with a number of her cabinet colleagues, senior officials and
The law and order situation in the volatile region
figured in another meeting the same day with Home Secretary G
D Gautama and senior police officials.
The meeting deliberated on steps to restore peace and
normalcy in the region and how to improve road connectivity
apart from an effective public distribution system.
State Secretariat officials said the chief minister would
address two public meetings at Nayagram and Jhargram in West
Midnapore district tomorrow. She would hold another meeting at
Sarenga in Bankura district the next day before returning to
Union Minister of State for Railways Mukul Roy will
accompany her during her visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre