Mamata to meet GJM chief ahead of GTA polls
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is expected to meet Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) leader Bimal Gurung in Kolkata on Thursday afternoon.
GJM is reportedly unhappy with the proposed area of Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) and the party had also threatened to launch agitation against the state government.
Mamata Banerjee during her meeting with the GJM leaders a fortnight ago had appointed another administrative committee to review the decision of Justice Shyamal Sen`s committee.
However, the GJM leaders are aggrieved as Justice Sen`s committee allocated only five new mouzas to be included in the GTA, while the GJM had demanded 398 mouzas.
The GTA election is going to take place on July 29 and the state government had issued notification for it on Monday.
On Tuesday, Gurung held a meeting with Union Home Minister P Chidamabaram and voiced GJM’s protest against the recommendation of Justice Sen`s committee.
The GJM leaders are unwilling to participate in the election for GTA, but Chidamabaram had advised them to participate in the GTA election.
In view of the recent developments, today’s meeting between Gurang and Mamata is likely to be crucial.
When quizzed by reporters earlier, Mamata said that it is on Gurung to decide whether GJM will participate in the election.
"Gurung had wanted time on Friday, but as I am busy, I asked him to come on Thursday, " she said.
Political analysts are expecting that Gurung might accept Home Minister Chidambaram’s request and he might decide to contest the GTA polls.
Meanwhile, the West Bengal government is also planning to hold an all party meeting on Friday as a preparatory measure for the GTA polls.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi