Mamata to meet GJM chief ahead of GTA polls
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is expected to meet Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) leader Bimal Gurung in Kolkata on Thursday afternoon.
GJM is reportedly unhappy with the proposed area of Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) and the party had also threatened to launch agitation against the state government.
Mamata Banerjee during her meeting with the GJM leaders a fortnight ago had appointed another administrative committee to review the decision of Justice Shyamal Sen`s committee.
However, the GJM leaders are aggrieved as Justice Sen`s committee allocated only five new mouzas to be included in the GTA, while the GJM had demanded 398 mouzas.
The GTA election is going to take place on July 29 and the state government had issued notification for it on Monday.
On Tuesday, Gurung held a meeting with Union Home Minister P Chidamabaram and voiced GJM’s protest against the recommendation of Justice Sen`s committee.
The GJM leaders are unwilling to participate in the election for GTA, but Chidamabaram had advised them to participate in the GTA election.
In view of the recent developments, today’s meeting between Gurang and Mamata is likely to be crucial.
When quizzed by reporters earlier, Mamata said that it is on Gurung to decide whether GJM will participate in the election.
"Gurung had wanted time on Friday, but as I am busy, I asked him to come on Thursday, " she said.
Political analysts are expecting that Gurung might accept Home Minister Chidambaram’s request and he might decide to contest the GTA polls.
Meanwhile, the West Bengal government is also planning to hold an all party meeting on Friday as a preparatory measure for the GTA polls.
With Agency Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet