Mamata trying to confuse masses: Biman Bose
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee is opposing FDI in retail on the United States` advice to confuse people about the Left movement`s authenticity, CPI-M leader Biman Bose said here on Thursday.
"Suddenly, a right-wing party like Trinamool is opposing retail FDI, saying it is concerned about farmers and small traders. But it was the Left that from the beginning opposed retail FDI. We had even forced the first UPA government to shelve the policy," said Bose, a Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member.
Last week, miffed over the diesel price hike and nod to foreign direct investment (FDI) in the country`s retail sector, Banerjee, who is also the West Bengal chief minister, withdrew her party`s support to the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre.
"On one hand, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is meeting the chief minister at the state secretariat and on the other hand, Trinamool is opposing retail FDI. This is nothing but a tactic to fool the masses about Left`s authenticity," he said.
Bose alleged that late prime minister Indira Gandhi too had spoken against US imperialism in the `70s to confuse the masses and blunt the Left movement.
"The Trinamool supremo is also following the same strategy. She has been advised by the US to oppose retail FDI so that people become confused."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says