Mamata turns attention on KLO
Matigara: With peace returning to Darjeeling after the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha called off its agitation for Gorkhaland, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday turned her attention to a militant organisation in the adjoining plains.
Referring to the Kamtapur Liberation Organisation in North Bengal, Banerjee said the violence in the name of movements would not go down well with the people.
"Peace has returned in Darjeeling. You must be happy for that," Banerjee told a government programme here adjoining Siliguri.
"Let there be peace in Dooars and Terai region (in Jalpaiguri district) and between the hills and the plains. The people don`t like the bloody agitations. The KLO is raising money in the name of such agitation," she said at the programme where she distributed land deeds to the poor.
"I have also organised many movements for the cause of the people. But people don`t support any agitation which cause bloodshed," Banerjee said while referring to KLO.
The Chief Minister said that there were forces which wanted to foment trouble in Darjeeling, Dooars and Terai.
The KLO was formed in mid-1990s with the objective to carve out a separate Kamtapur state comprising parts of West Bengal and Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday