Mamata violated model code, Congress tells poll panel
New Delhi: Leaders of the Congress in West Bengal Wednesday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a complaint against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for allegedly violating the model code of conduct ahead of the June 2 Lok Sabha by-poll from Howrah.
State Congress spokesperson Abdul Mannan alleged that Banerjee had defied the model code by announcing schemes and sops at a media meet in the state secretariat Writers` Buildings Tuesday.
"She held a media meet and announced major schemes, thereby violating the model code of conduct which is in place for the by-poll," said Mannan.
The Congress leaders, including state party chief Pradip Bhattacharya, also drew the the attention of the Election Commission to advertisements published in newspapers by the Trinamool Congress government to celebrate its completion of two years in office.
With the Trinamool and the Congress snapping ties at the central and state levels, both parties have put up candidates for the seat. While the Trinamool has nominated former international footballer Prasun Banerjee, the Congress has given the ticket to advocate Sanatan Mukherjee. The Left Front has fielded CPI-M`s Srideep Bhattacharya.
The election to the Lok Sabha from the constituency was necessitated by the death of Trinamool parliamentarian Ambica Banerjee April 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in