Mamata violated model code, Congress tells poll panel
New Delhi: Leaders of the Congress in West Bengal Wednesday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a complaint against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for allegedly violating the model code of conduct ahead of the June 2 Lok Sabha by-poll from Howrah.
State Congress spokesperson Abdul Mannan alleged that Banerjee had defied the model code by announcing schemes and sops at a media meet in the state secretariat Writers` Buildings Tuesday.
"She held a media meet and announced major schemes, thereby violating the model code of conduct which is in place for the by-poll," said Mannan.
The Congress leaders, including state party chief Pradip Bhattacharya, also drew the the attention of the Election Commission to advertisements published in newspapers by the Trinamool Congress government to celebrate its completion of two years in office.
With the Trinamool and the Congress snapping ties at the central and state levels, both parties have put up candidates for the seat. While the Trinamool has nominated former international footballer Prasun Banerjee, the Congress has given the ticket to advocate Sanatan Mukherjee. The Left Front has fielded CPI-M`s Srideep Bhattacharya.
The election to the Lok Sabha from the constituency was necessitated by the death of Trinamool parliamentarian Ambica Banerjee April 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune