Mamata violated model code, Congress tells poll panel
New Delhi: Leaders of the Congress in West Bengal Wednesday met Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath to lodge a complaint against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for allegedly violating the model code of conduct ahead of the June 2 Lok Sabha by-poll from Howrah.
State Congress spokesperson Abdul Mannan alleged that Banerjee had defied the model code by announcing schemes and sops at a media meet in the state secretariat Writers` Buildings Tuesday.
"She held a media meet and announced major schemes, thereby violating the model code of conduct which is in place for the by-poll," said Mannan.
The Congress leaders, including state party chief Pradip Bhattacharya, also drew the the attention of the Election Commission to advertisements published in newspapers by the Trinamool Congress government to celebrate its completion of two years in office.
With the Trinamool and the Congress snapping ties at the central and state levels, both parties have put up candidates for the seat. While the Trinamool has nominated former international footballer Prasun Banerjee, the Congress has given the ticket to advocate Sanatan Mukherjee. The Left Front has fielded CPI-M`s Srideep Bhattacharya.
The election to the Lok Sabha from the constituency was necessitated by the death of Trinamool parliamentarian Ambica Banerjee April 25.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram