Mamata visits house of Trinamool leader killed in group clash
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday night visited the house of a Trinamool Congress leader who was killed in a clash between two groups of the party over a vacant piece of land at Dhapa here.
During her visit to the house of the victim, Adhir Maiti, late in the evening, Banerjee handed over a cheque of Rs two lakh to his family members.
Maiti died at a hospital when he was brought there after the clash at Dhapa in the eastern fringes of the city on Wednesday.
She offered employment to two persons of the Maiti`s family.
The Chief Minister also assured Maiti`s family members that appropriate action would be taken against the main accused, Trinamool Congress Councillor Sambhunath Kow.
Banerjee had on Wednesday ordered the arrest of Kow who is absconding, the police said.
The police have seized one of the vehicles of Kow who is the councillor of Ward No 58 of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed