Mamata vows not let terror to return to junglemahal
Jamboni: Visiting junglemahal to showcase her government`s success in bringing peace in the former Maoist-hit area, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said that the days of fear were gone and vowed that they would not be allowed to return into the region.
"Our government has been able to restore peace in junglemahal. This was our challenge and commitment after we came to power," the chief minister told a panchayat election meeting here in West Midnapore district.
"We will never allow terror to return to junglemahal," she said. "I salute those who fought against them (Maoists) risking their lives. I also salute the jawans in junglemahal guarding the people," she said.
She recalled that two years ago people in Jamboni and other areas in the district were fearful of stepping outside their home in fear of attacks by Maoists and CPI(M) cadres.
"There was a lot of bloodshed and many people were killed," Banerjee said. She criticised Maoists saying that they did not follow any ideology and killed people keeping their faces hidden.
Stating that her government wanted to empower adivasis, she spoke of creation of some thousands of jobs in the police, improvement of roads, opening of schools, colleges and polytechnics and multi-speciality hospitals by her government and creation of new kisan bazars.
She said that 100 days was provided in the 100-day work guarantee scheme, while 45,000 girl students in junglemahal were given cycles by her government.
Apparently referring to the Sajjan Jindal`s steel and power plant at Salboni in the district, the chief minister said "The Rs 35,000 project at Salboni will give employment to one lakh people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Tusshar Kapoor’s baby Laksshya born via surrogacy clicked with grandpa Jeetendra – See Pic
- Asin Thottumkal's Italian sojourn with hubby Rahul Sharma is the perfect vacation plan we all want! See pics
- China bans Lady Gaga after Dalai Lama meeting?
- India seen to grow faster than emerging market peers
- Soccer fans mock as England dumped out of Europe twice in a week