Mamata vows not let terror to return to junglemahal
Jamboni: Visiting junglemahal to showcase her government`s success in bringing peace in the former Maoist-hit area, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said that the days of fear were gone and vowed that they would not be allowed to return into the region.
"Our government has been able to restore peace in junglemahal. This was our challenge and commitment after we came to power," the chief minister told a panchayat election meeting here in West Midnapore district.
"We will never allow terror to return to junglemahal," she said. "I salute those who fought against them (Maoists) risking their lives. I also salute the jawans in junglemahal guarding the people," she said.
She recalled that two years ago people in Jamboni and other areas in the district were fearful of stepping outside their home in fear of attacks by Maoists and CPI(M) cadres.
"There was a lot of bloodshed and many people were killed," Banerjee said. She criticised Maoists saying that they did not follow any ideology and killed people keeping their faces hidden.
Stating that her government wanted to empower adivasis, she spoke of creation of some thousands of jobs in the police, improvement of roads, opening of schools, colleges and polytechnics and multi-speciality hospitals by her government and creation of new kisan bazars.
She said that 100 days was provided in the 100-day work guarantee scheme, while 45,000 girl students in junglemahal were given cycles by her government.
Apparently referring to the Sajjan Jindal`s steel and power plant at Salboni in the district, the chief minister said "The Rs 35,000 project at Salboni will give employment to one lakh people."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'