Mamata vows to take revenge `democratically` against SEC
Jainagar (WB): West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday slammed the State Election Commission (SEC) saying it was taking whimsical decisions unilaterally without consulting the government.
At a panchayat election meeting here in the South 24 Parganas district, Banerjee, without naming the SEC, also vowed to take `revenge` against it by `democratic` means.
The Trinamool Congress supremo is at loggerheads with SEC over the latter`s move to schedule local body elections during the holy Islamic month of Ramzan and in the thick of the monsoon season.
"The polls are being held during Ramzan. Had it been held during Durga Puja, would we have liked it? Ramzan is equally important for Muslims. They (keep a fast) and will be inconvenienced in casting their votes," she said.
"Election date has been fixed for a `Jummabar` (Friday). Did (SEC) not feel it was necessary to ask us?" she said referring to the third phase of polling which falls on July 19.
"If the people are unable to come to the polling booths because of floods, CPI(M) will be benefited... I will take revenge in a democratic way through ballots," she said at the rally.
The Supreme Court last week fixed the polling dates on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25.
Development work would be hampered as a huge number of government officials would be busy in the five-phase polls, she said.
Defending Trinamool`s absence from the all-party meeting convened by SEC on the panchayat polls, she said: "Why should we go (to the meeting) when they are not listening to us and taking unilateral decisions?
"Do they (SEC) not know how many examinations have to be cancelled? Did they not feel it necessary to ask us?" Banerjee asked.
The date of counting of July 29, too, was fixed by SEC without consulting the state government, Banerjee alleged.
"The Assembly would be on then and the state budget is due to be placed (before it) on July 31. What will happen if the placing of the budget has to be deferred? Do we have to place a vote on account budget because of this?" Mamata complained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray