Mamata vows to take revenge `democratically` against SEC
Jainagar (WB): West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday slammed the State Election Commission (SEC) saying it was taking whimsical decisions unilaterally without consulting the government.
At a panchayat election meeting here in the South 24 Parganas district, Banerjee, without naming the SEC, also vowed to take `revenge` against it by `democratic` means.
The Trinamool Congress supremo is at loggerheads with SEC over the latter`s move to schedule local body elections during the holy Islamic month of Ramzan and in the thick of the monsoon season.
"The polls are being held during Ramzan. Had it been held during Durga Puja, would we have liked it? Ramzan is equally important for Muslims. They (keep a fast) and will be inconvenienced in casting their votes," she said.
"Election date has been fixed for a `Jummabar` (Friday). Did (SEC) not feel it was necessary to ask us?" she said referring to the third phase of polling which falls on July 19.
"If the people are unable to come to the polling booths because of floods, CPI(M) will be benefited... I will take revenge in a democratic way through ballots," she said at the rally.
The Supreme Court last week fixed the polling dates on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25.
Development work would be hampered as a huge number of government officials would be busy in the five-phase polls, she said.
Defending Trinamool`s absence from the all-party meeting convened by SEC on the panchayat polls, she said: "Why should we go (to the meeting) when they are not listening to us and taking unilateral decisions?
"Do they (SEC) not know how many examinations have to be cancelled? Did they not feel it necessary to ask us?" Banerjee asked.
The date of counting of July 29, too, was fixed by SEC without consulting the state government, Banerjee alleged.
"The Assembly would be on then and the state budget is due to be placed (before it) on July 31. What will happen if the placing of the budget has to be deferred? Do we have to place a vote on account budget because of this?" Mamata complained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan