Mamata vows to take revenge `democratically` against SEC
Jainagar (WB): West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday slammed the State Election Commission (SEC) saying it was taking whimsical decisions unilaterally without consulting the government.
At a panchayat election meeting here in the South 24 Parganas district, Banerjee, without naming the SEC, also vowed to take `revenge` against it by `democratic` means.
The Trinamool Congress supremo is at loggerheads with SEC over the latter`s move to schedule local body elections during the holy Islamic month of Ramzan and in the thick of the monsoon season.
"The polls are being held during Ramzan. Had it been held during Durga Puja, would we have liked it? Ramzan is equally important for Muslims. They (keep a fast) and will be inconvenienced in casting their votes," she said.
"Election date has been fixed for a `Jummabar` (Friday). Did (SEC) not feel it was necessary to ask us?" she said referring to the third phase of polling which falls on July 19.
"If the people are unable to come to the polling booths because of floods, CPI(M) will be benefited... I will take revenge in a democratic way through ballots," she said at the rally.
The Supreme Court last week fixed the polling dates on July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25.
Development work would be hampered as a huge number of government officials would be busy in the five-phase polls, she said.
Defending Trinamool`s absence from the all-party meeting convened by SEC on the panchayat polls, she said: "Why should we go (to the meeting) when they are not listening to us and taking unilateral decisions?
"Do they (SEC) not know how many examinations have to be cancelled? Did they not feel it necessary to ask us?" Banerjee asked.
The date of counting of July 29, too, was fixed by SEC without consulting the state government, Banerjee alleged.
"The Assembly would be on then and the state budget is due to be placed (before it) on July 31. What will happen if the placing of the budget has to be deferred? Do we have to place a vote on account budget because of this?" Mamata complained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow