Mamata wants people of Darjeeling hills to be happy
Siliguri: Despite political differences between the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) and her government, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said she wished everyone in the Darjeeling hills and other parts of the state `to be happy and stay together`.
Accompanied by North Bengal Development Minister Gautam Deb and Trinamool Congress General Secretary Mukul Roy, the Chief Minister is here on a 3-day visit of North Bengal.
Though Banerjee refused to answer questions on the Gorkha Territorial Administration (GTA) being run by the GJM, she said, "There can be political differences, but I wish that everybody in the hills are happy. Not just the hills, I wish everyone in other parts of the state are happy and they stay together."
When people stayed together, economic development take place, and if tourists get a `wrong message`, they will not come to Darjeeling and the economy of the hills will be affected, she told reporters at Bagdogra airport here.
The cordial relation between the GJM and the state government turned sour after a section of GJM workers shouted slogans demanding Gorkhaland at a government function in Darjeeling on January 29 where both Banerjee and GJM chief Bimal Gurung were present.
The state government did not remove Soumitra Mohan from the post of Principal Secretary of GTA as demanded by the GJM and set up a Lepcha Development Council despite GJM`s stiff opposition.
The GJM also alleged interference by the state government in the functioning of GTA and even met President Pranab Mukherjee over the issue.
The Chief Minister also refused to comment on the issue of panchayat election. The state government is virtually on a collision course with the State Election Commission over holding of the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Delhi boy 'Sonu', abducted 6 years ago, returns home from Bangladesh today
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan lends his majestic voice for the title track, impresses again! – Check out
- Caitlyn Jenner, Lady Gaga to pay tribute to Orlando Victims
- Beach fresh in pastel, Priyanka Chopra exhibits simplicity in new magazine cover!
- Terrorists holed up inside building in J&K's Pulwama; 2 killed, encounter underway