Mamata warns against fomenting communal passion
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee on Saturday said attempts were being made to foment
communal disturbances in the state by issuing provocative
messages and warned of stern action against those behind such
"Thousands of SMSes and emails, a number of which has
been intercepted, are being circulated to spread highly
provocative messages to evoke communal passions," the Chief
Minister told reporters at Writers` Buildings here.
Banerjee, who holds the Home department, warned of stern
action to curb such attempts to create communal tension and
said police has been asked to nab the culprits.
"We will nab the culprits at all costs," she said.
The Chief Minister urged the public to immediately inform
police if such messages were delivered in their e-mail or
Appealing for peace and communal amity at all costs,
Banerjee said West Bengal has a rich tradition of communal
harmony which has to be kept by all means despite
"machinations" to disturb it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened