Mamata welcomes SC order on Singur land
Kolkata: Welcoming the Supreme Court`s
interim order on the Singur land case, West Bengal Chief
Minister Mamata Banerjee on Wednesday said the apex court did not
stop land survey and the "process of distribution of land".
"We welcome the Supreme court order. It will go in
favour of the farmers and in favour of the people," she told
reporters commenting on the apex court order.
The Chief Minister, who had a talk with government
lawyer Kalyan Banerjee on the apex court order, said the
Supreme Court had not stopped the land survey and process of
distribution of land in Singur.
"The apex court only said that distribution of land
would be stopped till the Calcutta High Court passes its
judgement on the case," she said.
The Supreme Court directed the West Bengal government
not to go ahead with distribution and return of land in Singur
to farmers which was acquired for Tata Motors` small car
"As an interim order, we direct state government not to
hand over or return land to farmers concerned until further
order passed by the Calcutta High Court," a vacation bench
comprising justices P Sathasivam an AK Patnaik said.
The court was hearing a petition filed by Tata Motors
challenging the order of Calcutta High Court which refused to
grant any relief to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video