Mamata`s exit puts question mark on committees
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress` exit from the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) has put question mark over the fate of committees constituted when that party held the railways portfolio.
When Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee joined the UPA in 2009 and took charge of the railway ministry, she constituted some committees and also inducted several intellectuals considered close to her into existing committees.
The committees were retained during the tenures of the next two railway ministers, who too were from the Trinamool Congress - Dinesh Trivedi and Mukul Roy.
Now that Banerjee and Trinamool have walked out of the UPA, some argue that the pro-Banerjee intellectuals must resign on moral grounds. The members of these official committees are entitled to many financial benefits.
"Why are they continuing when their benefactor (Banerjee) is gone? All these posts fall under `office of profit` and they must immediately resign on moral grounds," Congress parliamentarian Adhir Chowdhury said.
Banerjee`s close aide and painter, Shuvaprasanna heads the Railways Passenger Amenities Committee, which has fellow painter Samir Aich, film director Haranath Chakrabarty and singer Pallab Kirtanya as members.
The Passengers Amenities Committee has, among others the critically acclaimed film director Gautam Ghose too as a member.
There are those who hold that committee membership is no political favour: "These committees and their members are not a result of anybody`s benevolence. The committees are constituted through gazette notification by parliament. And members are not affiliated to any political party," Shuvaprasanna told a news agency.
Shuvaprasanna said, "I was asked to give my services for the welfare of the community and if I step down before my tenure ends, wouldn`t that be a disservice?"
The painter claimed that he did not avail of any financial benefits from the post.
"It is now for parliament to decide if they want to renew my term, which is due to expire in a few months," said the acclaimed painter.
Among the committees constituted under Banerjee is the Heritage and Cultural Committee which has actress Saoli Mitra and theatre personality Arpita Ghosh as members.
The financial benefits attached with the posts include a monthly honorarium of Rs.10,000 to the head of the committee and Rs.8,000 per month to members.
Other perks include free travel, and food and lodging when members make official trips.
Refusing to step down, Aich questioned the intentions of those demanding his resignation.
"How is morality attached to being a member of the committee? Moreover, who is Adhir Chowdhury to decide what is my moral obligation," Aich asked the news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'