Mamata`s nephew remanded to judicial custody
Kolkata: A city court on Thursday remanded Akash
Banerjee, nephew of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee, and three of his associates to day-long judicial
custody for allegedly assaulting a police sergeant.
Second Chief Judicial Magistrate, Alipore court, Suparna
Roy rejected their bail prayers and remanded Banerjee and
his associates Nitish Singh, Md Sarmuddin and Amit Mishra to
a day`s judicial custody.
The prosecution opposed the bail plea and prayed for
judicial custody of the accused.
Counsels for the accused stated that their clients had
been wrongfully charged under section 353, which is a
They pleaded that section 186 (obstructing public
servant from discharge of his public duty) of IPC, which is a
non-cognisable and bailable charge, should be applied instead.
Claiming that the accused had not assaulted the
sergeant, they stated that it was an incident of traffic
The four have been charged under sections 353 (assault
to deter a public servant from discharge of his duty), 341
(wrongfully restraining a person), 323 (voluntarily causing
hurt) and 114 (abettor present, when offence is committed) of
IPC and 122, 177 of the Motor Vehicles Act.
The court directed the prosecution to produce the case
diary and said the issue would be taken up for hearing when
the accused would be produced tomorrow.
The four were arrested yesterday on the express
instructions of the chief minister for assaulting a police
sergeant at Kidderpore in south Kolkata.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt