Mamata`s opposition exposes her anti-people stand: Yechury
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s opposition to the country-wide strike called by central trade unions exposed her stand on the interests of the working class, CPI-M Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said on Monday.
"If she (Banerjee) is opposing then it will only expose her stand on the policies of working class. It shows that she is against their interests. The Constitution gives us this right. How can she take that away? She has no right to do that," said Yechury at a sidelines of a rally.
Banerjee had said that she is against the strike as it leads to loss of man-days and financial loss.
Trade unions CITU, INTUC, AITUC, BMS and Left-backed banking sector unions have jointly called the country-wide general strike on February 20 and 21, opposing financial sector reforms and allowing FDI in retail.
The strike, Yechury said, will send out a strong message against the anti-people policies of the Centre.
Asked about the difference of opinion about the strike call, he said, "We as a party support this strike call. Now the decision of calling the strike is taken by trade unions. We don`t interfere in that."
West Bengal Leader of Opposition and CPI(M) Politburo member Surya Kanta Mishra too lashed out at Banerjee for her stand on strike and alleged she herself has been calling state government-sponsored strikes in the state in the name of government holidays.
"When we call a strike she opposes it. She says that such strikes lead to loss of mandays. But what about those strikes that are sponsored by this government in the name of state government holidays? Doesn`t the state lose financially during those holidays?"
Mishra also mocked Banerjee`s announcement of holidays as a process to save electricity bills of government offices.
"We all know that state is going through a tough phase. So she has started giving away holidays so that power bills of those days can be saved," he quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them