Mamata`s opposition exposes her anti-people stand: Yechury
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s opposition to the country-wide strike called by central trade unions exposed her stand on the interests of the working class, CPI-M Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said on Monday.
"If she (Banerjee) is opposing then it will only expose her stand on the policies of working class. It shows that she is against their interests. The Constitution gives us this right. How can she take that away? She has no right to do that," said Yechury at a sidelines of a rally.
Banerjee had said that she is against the strike as it leads to loss of man-days and financial loss.
Trade unions CITU, INTUC, AITUC, BMS and Left-backed banking sector unions have jointly called the country-wide general strike on February 20 and 21, opposing financial sector reforms and allowing FDI in retail.
The strike, Yechury said, will send out a strong message against the anti-people policies of the Centre.
Asked about the difference of opinion about the strike call, he said, "We as a party support this strike call. Now the decision of calling the strike is taken by trade unions. We don`t interfere in that."
West Bengal Leader of Opposition and CPI(M) Politburo member Surya Kanta Mishra too lashed out at Banerjee for her stand on strike and alleged she herself has been calling state government-sponsored strikes in the state in the name of government holidays.
"When we call a strike she opposes it. She says that such strikes lead to loss of mandays. But what about those strikes that are sponsored by this government in the name of state government holidays? Doesn`t the state lose financially during those holidays?"
Mishra also mocked Banerjee`s announcement of holidays as a process to save electricity bills of government offices.
"We all know that state is going through a tough phase. So she has started giving away holidays so that power bills of those days can be saved," he quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!