Mamata`s tenure the golden phase of Railways: Mukul
Howrah: Terming the tenure of Mamata Banerjee as the `golden phase` in the history of country`s largest network, Railway Minister Mukul Roy on Saturday said all the projects being implemented now were planned by Banerjee.
"This is a phase when new trains are being introduced, line doubling work is carried on in several divisions, new projects are coming up.
But all these had been planned by her, which is a golden era of Indian railways by all estimates," Roy said at a function in Howrah station.
Giving credit to Banerjee for the Metro rail expansion project in the city, Roy said this will lead to an integrated railway network in future.
Roy said 74,000 recruitments had been made in the railways earlier while another 1,70,000 workers would be inducted in future.
The recruitments would also bolster the safety aspect, he said again reiterating Banerjee had given all importance to the issue of railway safety and he would try to emulate her.
Four new local trains including Bandel-Naihati, Burdwan-Bandel, Howrah-Bandel and the Howrah-Lalkuan Weekly Express were introduced on the occasion.
The General Manager, Eastern Railways G C Agarwal was among the railway officials present.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!