Man assaulted for protesting against hooch dens in WB
Barasat: Barely a fortnight after a youth was killed and his body thrown on the railway track for protesting against illegal hooch dens at Bamangachhi in North 24 Parganas, another person was allegedly beaten up in the area for protesting against consumption of hooch in the open.
Srikanto Bhadra, a resident of Muraripara was assaulted on Tuesday night after he had filed a complaint against consumption of liquor in the open about a fortnight ago, Additional Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Mukherjee said.
Following the assault, two persons were arrested and produced before the local court which remanded them to police custody for a day, he said.
Baidya is a member of the protest forum formed after the killing of college student Sourav Chowdhury on July 5 for launching a drive against illegal hooch dens run by the prime accused Shyamal Karmakar at Bamungachhi.
Chowdhury`s dismembered body was found on the railway track at the nearby Duttapukur railway station and Karmakar was arrested.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative