Man assaulted in Bengal for protesting against hooch dens
Barasat: Barely a fortnight after a youth was killed and his body thrown on the railway track for protesting against illegal hooch dens at Bamangachhi in North 24 Parganas, another person was allegedly beaten up in the area for protesting against consumption of hooch in the open.
Srikanto Bhadra, a resident of Muraripara was assaulted on Tuesday night after he had filed a complaint against consumption of liquor in the open about a fortnight ago, Additional Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Mukherjee said.
Following the assault, two persons were arrested and produced before the local court which remanded them to police custody for a day, he said.
Baidya is a member of the protest forum formed after the killing of college student Sourav Chowdhury on July 5 for launching a drive against illegal hooch dens run by the prime accused Shyamal Karmakar at Bamungachhi.
Chowdhury`s dismembered body was found on the railway track at the nearby Duttapukur railway station and Karmakar was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!