Man assaulted in Bengal for protesting against hooch dens
Barasat: Barely a fortnight after a youth was killed and his body thrown on the railway track for protesting against illegal hooch dens at Bamangachhi in North 24 Parganas, another person was allegedly beaten up in the area for protesting against consumption of hooch in the open.
Srikanto Bhadra, a resident of Muraripara was assaulted on Tuesday night after he had filed a complaint against consumption of liquor in the open about a fortnight ago, Additional Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Mukherjee said.
Following the assault, two persons were arrested and produced before the local court which remanded them to police custody for a day, he said.
Baidya is a member of the protest forum formed after the killing of college student Sourav Chowdhury on July 5 for launching a drive against illegal hooch dens run by the prime accused Shyamal Karmakar at Bamungachhi.
Chowdhury`s dismembered body was found on the railway track at the nearby Duttapukur railway station and Karmakar was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues