Man assaulted in Bengal for protesting against hooch dens
Barasat: Barely a fortnight after a youth was killed and his body thrown on the railway track for protesting against illegal hooch dens at Bamangachhi in North 24 Parganas, another person was allegedly beaten up in the area for protesting against consumption of hooch in the open.
Srikanto Bhadra, a resident of Muraripara was assaulted on Tuesday night after he had filed a complaint against consumption of liquor in the open about a fortnight ago, Additional Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Mukherjee said.
Following the assault, two persons were arrested and produced before the local court which remanded them to police custody for a day, he said.
Baidya is a member of the protest forum formed after the killing of college student Sourav Chowdhury on July 5 for launching a drive against illegal hooch dens run by the prime accused Shyamal Karmakar at Bamungachhi.
Chowdhury`s dismembered body was found on the railway track at the nearby Duttapukur railway station and Karmakar was arrested.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Investigative agencies have ability to find money trail: Jayant Sinha
- Theory that UPA blacklisted AgustaWestland 'figment of somebody's imagination', says Arun Jaitley
- Sex once a week best for your relationship
- 'The Flash' movie loses director over creative differences?
- Odd-even scheme again successful: Gopal Rai