Man assaulted in Bengal for protesting against hooch dens
Barasat: Barely a fortnight after a youth was killed and his body thrown on the railway track for protesting against illegal hooch dens at Bamangachhi in North 24 Parganas, another person was allegedly beaten up in the area for protesting against consumption of hooch in the open.
Srikanto Bhadra, a resident of Muraripara was assaulted on Tuesday night after he had filed a complaint against consumption of liquor in the open about a fortnight ago, Additional Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Mukherjee said.
Following the assault, two persons were arrested and produced before the local court which remanded them to police custody for a day, he said.
Baidya is a member of the protest forum formed after the killing of college student Sourav Chowdhury on July 5 for launching a drive against illegal hooch dens run by the prime accused Shyamal Karmakar at Bamungachhi.
Chowdhury`s dismembered body was found on the railway track at the nearby Duttapukur railway station and Karmakar was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country