Man beheads sister over extra-marital affair in West Bengal
Kolkata: In the first case of honour killing in Kolkata, a garment trader decapitated his younger sister with a sword and took the severed head to the police station where he surrendered.
The 29-year-old trader, identified as Mehtab Alam, discovered that his sister, 24-year-old Nilofer Bibi, a mother of two was staying with a rickshaw-puller with whom she had eloped, police sources said on Saturday.
Alam went to the rickshaw-puller`s house, dragged out his sister and beheaded her with the sword in full public view yesterday, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Port division) Mehboob Rehman said.
Local people watched horrified as Alam walked down the road at Ayubnagar with the severed head dangling in his hand, before surrendering to the Nadial police station.
"He even asked for a glass of water after reaching the police station," police sources said.
According to eye witnesses Alam justified his crime saying he did it to punish his sister for the extra-marital affair.
"It was not the decision of the family to kill her. The brother had lost his temper over his sister and had unilaterally decided to kill her," the DC (Port) said.
Alam was today remanded to judicial custody till December 22 after his production in Alipore court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know