Man lynched in Purulia, West Bengal
Purulia (WB): A man was allegedly lynched at a kangaroo court in West Bengal`s Purulia district and five persons have been arrested in connection with it, police said.
The victim, identified as Anil Bauri (45) was brutally beaten with sticks by 10 men in a kangaroo court, popularly known as `salishi sabha` called on Tuesday night at Dharmadanga village in Raghunathpur block I to decide the lease over a pond for fishing.
Bauri, who held the lease last year, had at the meeting allegedly refused to abide by the orders of the kangaroo court leading to the brutal assault on him. As blows rained on him, he fell down bleeding and died on the spot, Bhattacharya said.
He was later taken to the Raghunathpur sadar hospital by his family members, who rushed in from his village in Jamuriadanga, about a km from where the kangaroo court was allegedly being held. Anil was declared brought dead at the hospital.
A named FIR has been lodged by the family later, Bhattacharya said, adding the five arrested, including the one who called the kangaroo court Mahendra Bauri, were held yesterday and produced in a court.
The rest of the attackers are absconding and manhunt was on to track the others, he said, adding a police picket has been set up at the village.
Bhattacharya said police was also investigating the incidences of kangaroo courts in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM