Man says `Mamata Banerjee is right` in court
Kolkata: A man created a flutter throwing some papers in the air shouting `Mamata Banerjee is right` when a division bench of the Calcutta High Court was hearing a plea on taking up a prayer for suo motu contempt against the West Bengal Chief Minister for allegedly making comments against the judiciary.
The man, aged around 42 and later identified as electronics trader Indrajit Biswas from Supur in Birbhum district, suddenly stood up in court and threw some papers in the air while loudly saying "What Mamata Banerjee said is right."
He was immediately caught by policemen, but was called by Acting Chief Justice, Pratap Kumar Roy.
The man claimed before the court that what he had said was right.
The Acting Chief Justice took a lenient view of the man`s act and allowed him to go after he apologised for disturbing the court.
The Chief Minister had during a seminar in the Assembly compound made some comments about the judiciary which was alleged to be derogatory in nature.
Some lawyers led by senior counsel Bikash Bhattacharya, also a former mayor of Kolkata, had moved the court of Justice Sengupta praying for suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
Justice Sengupta had heard submissions and the suggestions of amicus curiae appointed by him on whether the court could take up a suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
A decision on taking up the contempt was pending when Justice Sengupta was transferred.
The matter would again come up before the bench of the Acting Chief Justice on December 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown