Man says `Mamata Banerjee is right` in court
Kolkata: A man created a flutter throwing some papers in the air shouting `Mamata Banerjee is right` when a division bench of the Calcutta High Court was hearing a plea on taking up a prayer for suo motu contempt against the West Bengal Chief Minister for allegedly making comments against the judiciary.
The man, aged around 42 and later identified as electronics trader Indrajit Biswas from Supur in Birbhum district, suddenly stood up in court and threw some papers in the air while loudly saying "What Mamata Banerjee said is right."
He was immediately caught by policemen, but was called by Acting Chief Justice, Pratap Kumar Roy.
The man claimed before the court that what he had said was right.
The Acting Chief Justice took a lenient view of the man`s act and allowed him to go after he apologised for disturbing the court.
The Chief Minister had during a seminar in the Assembly compound made some comments about the judiciary which was alleged to be derogatory in nature.
Some lawyers led by senior counsel Bikash Bhattacharya, also a former mayor of Kolkata, had moved the court of Justice Sengupta praying for suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
Justice Sengupta had heard submissions and the suggestions of amicus curiae appointed by him on whether the court could take up a suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
A decision on taking up the contempt was pending when Justice Sengupta was transferred.
The matter would again come up before the bench of the Acting Chief Justice on December 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report