Man says `Mamata Banerjee is right` in court
Kolkata: A man created a flutter throwing some papers in the air shouting `Mamata Banerjee is right` when a division bench of the Calcutta High Court was hearing a plea on taking up a prayer for suo motu contempt against the West Bengal Chief Minister for allegedly making comments against the judiciary.
The man, aged around 42 and later identified as electronics trader Indrajit Biswas from Supur in Birbhum district, suddenly stood up in court and threw some papers in the air while loudly saying "What Mamata Banerjee said is right."
He was immediately caught by policemen, but was called by Acting Chief Justice, Pratap Kumar Roy.
The man claimed before the court that what he had said was right.
The Acting Chief Justice took a lenient view of the man`s act and allowed him to go after he apologised for disturbing the court.
The Chief Minister had during a seminar in the Assembly compound made some comments about the judiciary which was alleged to be derogatory in nature.
Some lawyers led by senior counsel Bikash Bhattacharya, also a former mayor of Kolkata, had moved the court of Justice Sengupta praying for suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
Justice Sengupta had heard submissions and the suggestions of amicus curiae appointed by him on whether the court could take up a suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
A decision on taking up the contempt was pending when Justice Sengupta was transferred.
The matter would again come up before the bench of the Acting Chief Justice on December 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark