Man says `Mamata Banerjee is right` in court
Kolkata: A man created a flutter throwing some papers in the air shouting `Mamata Banerjee is right` when a division bench of the Calcutta High Court was hearing a plea on taking up a prayer for suo motu contempt against the West Bengal Chief Minister for allegedly making comments against the judiciary.
The man, aged around 42 and later identified as electronics trader Indrajit Biswas from Supur in Birbhum district, suddenly stood up in court and threw some papers in the air while loudly saying "What Mamata Banerjee said is right."
He was immediately caught by policemen, but was called by Acting Chief Justice, Pratap Kumar Roy.
The man claimed before the court that what he had said was right.
The Acting Chief Justice took a lenient view of the man`s act and allowed him to go after he apologised for disturbing the court.
The Chief Minister had during a seminar in the Assembly compound made some comments about the judiciary which was alleged to be derogatory in nature.
Some lawyers led by senior counsel Bikash Bhattacharya, also a former mayor of Kolkata, had moved the court of Justice Sengupta praying for suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
Justice Sengupta had heard submissions and the suggestions of amicus curiae appointed by him on whether the court could take up a suo motu contempt against Banerjee.
A decision on taking up the contempt was pending when Justice Sengupta was transferred.
The matter would again come up before the bench of the Acting Chief Justice on December 14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Aditi and Mohit Malik’s Indonesian vacation will give you honeymoon goals
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today