Man`s eye damaged for taking part in CITU procession
Kolkata: After a gram panchayat member`s ear was severed in Murshidabad, a brick kiln worker`s eye was damaged in South 24 Parganas district while he was returning from a procession in support of the strike called by central trade unions.
Gopal Majhi was accosted at Masamari in Kulpi police station area when he was returning home yesterday after taking part in the procession by the CITU and beaten up leading to damage to an eye, police said.
He was rushed to the Kulpi hospital from where he was shifted to the National Medical College Hospital here, they said.
His wife, Minati, lodged an FIR at the Kulpi police station alleging that around 18 Trinamool Congress supporters led by local TMC leader Supriya Haldar assaulted her husband as a result of which he suffered damage to an eye, the sources said.
Around 44 brick kilns in Kulpi area were closed today because of a bandh called by the CPI-M in protest against the incident.
Yesterday, panchayat employee Hazrat Omar had an ear almost severed by a knife-wielding assailant as he was about to enter the Debipur gram panchayat office at Jalangi in Murshidabad district for not being present in office on the first day of the strike.
It was alleged that the attack was carried out by a Trinamool Congressman, but it was denied by the TMC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray