Maoist arrested in West Midnapore
Kolkata: A Maoist was on Tuesday arrested when
he was travelling in the vehicle of a local Trinamool Congress
leader near Pirakata in West Midnapore district.
Acting on a tip off, the joint forces intercepted the
vehicle of Trinamool Salboni Block President Nepal Singh at
Patharkumkumi and arrested Maoist squad member Kanchan Deb
Singh, Superintendent of Police Manoj Kumar Verma said.
The ultra belonging to Madhupur area under Salboni
police station had charges murder and arson against him.
"There are at least 15 to 20 cases against Singh
including double and triple murders. He was also responsible
for the destruction of Kalaimuri camp of the joint forces last
year," Verma said.
His brother Hemant Deb Singh, also a Naxal was killed
in an encounter with the joint forces last year, Verma said.
Trinamool District President, Pranab Basu, however,
claimed that Kanchan was on bail after being arrested by the
Assam police and had been taken by Nepal Singh to a meeting at
Madhupur when he was arrested.
Basu claimed that Kanchan is not a criminal now and
was arrested by the police mistakenly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Good news! Shahid Kapoor and wifey Mira Rajput blessed with a baby girl
- Obama establishes world`s largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- Canadian twins plead guilty to terrorism, face jail time
- Apple issues update after cyber weapon captured
- Pakistani man who made deer skin sandals for Shah Rukh Khan arrested