Maoist arrested in West Midnapore
Kolkata: A Maoist was on Tuesday arrested when
he was travelling in the vehicle of a local Trinamool Congress
leader near Pirakata in West Midnapore district.
Acting on a tip off, the joint forces intercepted the
vehicle of Trinamool Salboni Block President Nepal Singh at
Patharkumkumi and arrested Maoist squad member Kanchan Deb
Singh, Superintendent of Police Manoj Kumar Verma said.
The ultra belonging to Madhupur area under Salboni
police station had charges murder and arson against him.
"There are at least 15 to 20 cases against Singh
including double and triple murders. He was also responsible
for the destruction of Kalaimuri camp of the joint forces last
year," Verma said.
His brother Hemant Deb Singh, also a Naxal was killed
in an encounter with the joint forces last year, Verma said.
Trinamool District President, Pranab Basu, however,
claimed that Kanchan was on bail after being arrested by the
Assam police and had been taken by Nepal Singh to a meeting at
Madhupur when he was arrested.
Basu claimed that Kanchan is not a criminal now and
was arrested by the police mistakenly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof