Maoist attack West Bengal CPI-M worker, kill cop
Bankura: A police officer and a Maoist were killed and two others injured in a gunfight between the security forces and the ultras at Sarenga in Bankura district, police said on Thursday.
A group of armed Maoists shot at and injured local CPI-M leader Tarashankar Patra late last night.
On getting the information, police and joint forces rushed to the spot.
Another team of joint forces from Lalgarh came and a gunbattle with the security forces ensued.
Inspector-in-charge of Sarenga police station, Rabi Lochan Mitra and a Maoist cadre Dule were killed in the encounter, Superintendent of Police Vishal Garg told a news agency.
Another guerrilla Mithun was injured in the gunfight, Garg said.
Patra has been admitted to Bankura Sammilani Medical College and Mithun was taken to Sarenga hospital, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list