Maoist commander, wife surrender in Bengal
Kolkata: A Maoist action squad commander and his wife, both involved in several cases, surrendered before the police in West Bengal`s Purulia district on Sunday.
Duryodhan Rajkowar alias Sujon, who has been operating in the Ayodhya hills for over six years, gave himself up along with his wife Akri Sahis alias Lalita to Purulia Superintendent of Police Sunil Chowdhury on Sunday.
"We have been talking to them for quite some time to facilitate the surrender. Today (Sunday) they came down from Ayodhya hills and gave themselves up," Chowdhury told a news agency over phone.
However, the duo did not deposit any weapons.
Duryodhan, who worked under Maoist squad leader Ranjit Pal, was wanted in 16-17 cases, including murder and extortion.
"He has been operating for six to seven years," said Chowdhury.
"Akri was in Ayodhya hills for five to seven months. They have both confessed their crimes," he said.
Both of them have now been put up in transit camps. "We are looking into their cases."
Akri said they decided to leave the Maoists after the rebels had started committing atrocities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason