Maoist held in West Bengal
Kolkata: A Maoist rebel, identified as a close aide of a guerrilla commander killed in a gunfight a day before, was arrested on Friday in West Bengal`s West Midnapore district, police said.
"Biju Mahato alias Pilot, who was a close associate of slain Sashadhar Mahato, was arrested on Friday," Additional Police Superintendent (operation) Mukesh Kumar said.
"Biju was present alongside Sashadhar during the gunfight in Jamboni area (Thursday). He, however, escaped and took shelter in an adjacent village. He was arrested during combing operations," Kumar told a news agency over phone.
"Biju has confirmed that the Maoist leader killed in the gunfight March 10 was Sashadhar," said Kumar.
Sashadhar, brother of arrested pro-Maoist People`s Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) convener Chhattradhar Mahato, was the foremost organiser of the outlawed Maoists in West Midnapore district.
"On Friday morning, residents of Chansoro village revealed that Maoist commandant Sashadhar and his wife Suchitra had taken shelter in the house of Ramesh Hansda. The couple were stayed there for three days," said Kumar.
"We raided Ramesh`s house and recovered three bags containing firearms, ammunition, Maoist literature, dairies, letters and garments. But Ramesh is yet to be arrested,` said the officer.
Two small firearms and cartridges and bullets of several types of weapons were also recovered.
Sashadhar was accused in at least 70 cases of abduction, murder, loot, arson and sedition.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probing the Gyaneshwari Express sabotage, in which 148 people were killed, had announced a Rs 2 lakh reward for information about Sashadhar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...