Maoist hideout busted in Bengal, arms seized
Kolkata: Security personnel on Thursday recovered a sophisticated firearm, explosives and huge cache of ammunition from a Maoist hideout in West Bengal`s West Midapore district, according to the police.
Joint forces conducted raids in Kanyabali and Lakhanpur forest areas near Lalgarh and unearthed the Maoist hideout.
"No Maoist cadres were present there that time. But an AK-47 rifle, explosives and a huge cache of ammunition were found," Inspector General of Police (Western Range) Zulfikar Hassan said.
"PLGA was written on the firearm, which suggested that it was used by the top members of Maoists armed wing - Peoples` Liberation Guerrilla Army. But investigations revealed that the AK-47 belonged to the Eastern Frontier Rifles (EFR) second battalion," according to Hassan.
Senior officers of the EFR have been informed to ascertain whether the firearm was looted from the Silda camp of EFR`s second battalion. Maoists attacked the camp on Feb 15, 2010 and 24 paratroopers were killed in the strike.
Hassan said: "The raids were conducted on the basis of information revealed during interrogation of two Maoists, Amiya Mahato and Ashim Mahato, arrested from a relief camp housed in a guest house of a Trinamool Congress-run civic body in Midnapore town Jan 31."
The Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore