Maoist squad leader held in West Bengal
Kolkata: A Maoist squad leader has been arrested from West Midnapore district of West Bengal, police said on Tuesday.
According to police, the Maoist leader was arrested Monday night. He was presented before a local court Tuesday morning.
"Subhas Modi, a close aide of Sashadhar Mahato, and his wife Suchitra Mahato are top ultra Left leaders and state committee members of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist)," said West Midnapore superintendent of police Manoj Verma.
"Acting of an information, the joint forces conducted a raid and arrested Subhas Modi from Bachurdoba village of Jhargram sub-division of the district. He was involved in several cases, including murder and torching government property," said Verma.
Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof