Maoists behind train mishap, some identified: DGP
Kolkata: The West Bengal police on Saturday night said
Maoists were behind the Jnaneswari Express derailment and
claimed to have identified the culprits behind the incident
that has claimed 136 lives so far.
"Those who did it are all members of Maoist squads. We
have identified them and search is on to nab them," Director
General of Police Bhupinder Singh told reporters here.
He said two members of a Maoist squad, who were recently
released on bail, had led the operation.
"We have information that the two, along with others of
the squad, had gone to the site on the night of the incident
and had opened the pendral clips and fishplates before the
derailment occurred," he said, adding the Maoists also took
help of the PCPA.
In reply to a question, he said that investigators
probing the incident have collected a number of samples from
the site and have not come across evidence of any explosion as
claimed by the driver of the express train.
Besides the CID and the state police teams, a team of
forensic experts were also at the site, he said.
Twelve railway linesmen posted in the Khemasuli-Saridha
area were being questioned by investigators, the official
Asked to comment on the silence by Maoists following the
incident, he said, "They speak only when they kill the police.
They remain silent while killing civilians. They are waging a
war against the state."
Thirteen coaches of the passenger train derailed in the
wee hours on Friday as portions of the track was missing. A
goods train coming from the opposite direction rammed into
five of them, causing the maximum casualties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill