Maoists blast gram panchayat office in Jhargram
Jhargram: Maoists have damaged a gram
panchayat office by exploding a landmine at Dhangori village
in West Midnapore district, police said on Thursday.
Armed Maoists arrived at the panchayat office situated on
the road connecting Lodhashuli and Kesiapatha late last night,
broke open the lock and planted a landmine before escaping.
The double-storeyed building was damaged when the
landmine exploded. A balcony on the first floor collapsed and
the entire building developed cracks due to the explosion, the
police, which reached the village this morning, said.
The same building had been torched by Maoists about two
months ago, damaging furniture and computers, they said.
The red rebels had also killed political activists,
including supporters of the CPI-M, in the area in the last one
year, the police said.
Dhangori and its adjoining Chatri villages, surrounded by
Maoist-infested thick forests, are stronghold areas of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room