Maoists blast gram panchayat office in Jhargram
Jhargram: Maoists have damaged a gram
panchayat office by exploding a landmine at Dhangori village
in West Midnapore district, police said on Thursday.
Armed Maoists arrived at the panchayat office situated on
the road connecting Lodhashuli and Kesiapatha late last night,
broke open the lock and planted a landmine before escaping.
The double-storeyed building was damaged when the
landmine exploded. A balcony on the first floor collapsed and
the entire building developed cracks due to the explosion, the
police, which reached the village this morning, said.
The same building had been torched by Maoists about two
months ago, damaging furniture and computers, they said.
The red rebels had also killed political activists,
including supporters of the CPI-M, in the area in the last one
year, the police said.
Dhangori and its adjoining Chatri villages, surrounded by
Maoist-infested thick forests, are stronghold areas of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Samsung likely to launch Tizen powered Z2 smartphone in India today
- Baloch leaders booked: JKNPP calls on Centre to slap sedition charges against separatists
- Earth's temperature dropped during solar eclipse
- 5.5 magnitude earthquake hits Myanmar-India border; tremors felt in Assam
- Was Aamir Khan all set to do a 'Rustom'? Here's what we know so far