Maoists blast gram panchayat office in Jhargram
Jhargram: Maoists have damaged a gram
panchayat office by exploding a landmine at Dhangori village
in West Midnapore district, police said on Thursday.
Armed Maoists arrived at the panchayat office situated on
the road connecting Lodhashuli and Kesiapatha late last night,
broke open the lock and planted a landmine before escaping.
The double-storeyed building was damaged when the
landmine exploded. A balcony on the first floor collapsed and
the entire building developed cracks due to the explosion, the
police, which reached the village this morning, said.
The same building had been torched by Maoists about two
months ago, damaging furniture and computers, they said.
The red rebels had also killed political activists,
including supporters of the CPI-M, in the area in the last one
year, the police said.
Dhangori and its adjoining Chatri villages, surrounded by
Maoist-infested thick forests, are stronghold areas of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM