Maoists blast gram panchayat office in Jhargram
Jhargram: Maoists have damaged a gram
panchayat office by exploding a landmine at Dhangori village
in West Midnapore district, police said on Thursday.
Armed Maoists arrived at the panchayat office situated on
the road connecting Lodhashuli and Kesiapatha late last night,
broke open the lock and planted a landmine before escaping.
The double-storeyed building was damaged when the
landmine exploded. A balcony on the first floor collapsed and
the entire building developed cracks due to the explosion, the
police, which reached the village this morning, said.
The same building had been torched by Maoists about two
months ago, damaging furniture and computers, they said.
The red rebels had also killed political activists,
including supporters of the CPI-M, in the area in the last one
year, the police said.
Dhangori and its adjoining Chatri villages, surrounded by
Maoist-infested thick forests, are stronghold areas of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP