Maoists blast gram panchayat office in Jhargram
Jhargram: Maoists have damaged a gram
panchayat office by exploding a landmine at Dhangori village
in West Midnapore district, police said on Thursday.
Armed Maoists arrived at the panchayat office situated on
the road connecting Lodhashuli and Kesiapatha late last night,
broke open the lock and planted a landmine before escaping.
The double-storeyed building was damaged when the
landmine exploded. A balcony on the first floor collapsed and
the entire building developed cracks due to the explosion, the
police, which reached the village this morning, said.
The same building had been torched by Maoists about two
months ago, damaging furniture and computers, they said.
The red rebels had also killed political activists,
including supporters of the CPI-M, in the area in the last one
year, the police said.
Dhangori and its adjoining Chatri villages, surrounded by
Maoist-infested thick forests, are stronghold areas of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab