Maoists blow up building, set afire community hall
Midnapore: Maoists blew up a building housing the office of a farmers` organisation and set afire a community hall in Jhargram sub-division of West Midnapore district early on Friday.
Police said that a large group of ultras raided Bandhgora village a little after 1 am and triggered a landmine blast in front of the building, housing the Krishak Sabha
office, blowing it up.
The group then attacked the neighbouring village of Radhanagar where they set ablaze a community hall, triggering panic among the villagers.
Jhargram Sub Divisional Officer, C Muragan, said the Radhanagar attack followed yesterday`s attack by activists of the PCPA in retaliation to the setting ablaze of several
houses of PCPA supporters by residents of six neighbouring villages to avenge the killing of Srikanta Mondal, a school employee, by the Maoists the day before.
A successful anti-Maoist resistance movement at Radhanagar village has kept the ultras away for sometime which explained the successive Maoist attacks on the village, police
Mondal was killed because he had mobilised the people against the Maoists, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal