Maoists blow up building, set afire community hall
Midnapore: Maoists blew up a building housing the office of a farmers` organisation and set afire a community hall in Jhargram sub-division of West Midnapore district early on Friday.
Police said that a large group of ultras raided Bandhgora village a little after 1 am and triggered a landmine blast in front of the building, housing the Krishak Sabha
office, blowing it up.
The group then attacked the neighbouring village of Radhanagar where they set ablaze a community hall, triggering panic among the villagers.
Jhargram Sub Divisional Officer, C Muragan, said the Radhanagar attack followed yesterday`s attack by activists of the PCPA in retaliation to the setting ablaze of several
houses of PCPA supporters by residents of six neighbouring villages to avenge the killing of Srikanta Mondal, a school employee, by the Maoists the day before.
A successful anti-Maoist resistance movement at Radhanagar village has kept the ultras away for sometime which explained the successive Maoist attacks on the village, police
Mondal was killed because he had mobilised the people against the Maoists, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report