Maoists blow up building, set afire community hall
Midnapore: Maoists blew up a building housing the office of a farmers` organisation and set afire a community hall in Jhargram sub-division of West Midnapore district early on Friday.
Police said that a large group of ultras raided Bandhgora village a little after 1 am and triggered a landmine blast in front of the building, housing the Krishak Sabha
office, blowing it up.
The group then attacked the neighbouring village of Radhanagar where they set ablaze a community hall, triggering panic among the villagers.
Jhargram Sub Divisional Officer, C Muragan, said the Radhanagar attack followed yesterday`s attack by activists of the PCPA in retaliation to the setting ablaze of several
houses of PCPA supporters by residents of six neighbouring villages to avenge the killing of Srikanta Mondal, a school employee, by the Maoists the day before.
A successful anti-Maoist resistance movement at Radhanagar village has kept the ultras away for sometime which explained the successive Maoist attacks on the village, police
Mondal was killed because he had mobilised the people against the Maoists, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership