Maoists express solidarity with Posco movement
Kolkata: The Maoists on Tuesday alleged that the Orissa government and the Centre had violated norms of the Union Environment ministry for the Posco project and expressed solidarity with those agitating against it.
"Fact finding by the Saxena committee and the Meena Gupta committee has proved the existence of forest rights. But the FRA (Forest Rights Act) is not implemented by the state government in the area," a press release by Maoists national spokesperson Abhay, on behalf of it central committee said.
"CPI (Maoist) hails the people of Orissa who are determined to stop the much-touted 52,000 crore `biggest foreign direct investment` in India and declares its full support and solidarity for them," it said.
It alleged that the Centre and the Orissa government disrespected the resolution of more than 65 per cent of villagers who participated in the palli sabhas of Dhinkia and Govindpur panchayats which unequivocally rejected the proposal for diversion of land.
It asked the government to `stop intimidating the people`, halt land acquisition for Posco and withdraw the police and paramilitary forces from the project area in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district.
"The overwhelming majority of this country’s population is rejecting the profit-centric, pro-imperialist development model and embracing the people-centric, pro-people development model," the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery