Maoists gun down CPI-M leader
Jhargram: In a midnight attack, armed Maoists dragged out a local CPI-M leader from his house and gunned him down at Lodhasoli in West Midnapore`s Jhargram area, police said on Saturday.
Sudhanshu Maiti (53), Lodhasoli local committee member
of CPI-M, was asleep in his house at Nahoria village when an
armed gang of about 25 Maoists broke open the door of his
house last night.
They then dragged him down from his first floor
bedroom to his courtyard and fired at him from a close range.
The bullets pierced his head and heart killing Maiti on the
spot, police said.
Police was informed soon after incident and reached
the spot this morning as crossing the forest during the night
posed a threat to the personnel.
Joint force personnel were deployed in the area to
track down the assailants and the body has been sent for
The killing took place just a day after the PCPA,
frontal organisation of the Maoists, withdrew its month-long
indefinite blockade demanding scrapping of the joint force
operation and production of its arrested members at the court.
The blockade was launched on April 5 and withdrawn on
May 6 but life in the area was still to return to normal as
vehicles carrying passengers and goods were keeping off the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency