Maoists gun down CPI-M leader
Jhargram: In a midnight attack, armed Maoists dragged out a local CPI-M leader from his house and gunned him down at Lodhasoli in West Midnapore`s Jhargram area, police said on Saturday.
Sudhanshu Maiti (53), Lodhasoli local committee member
of CPI-M, was asleep in his house at Nahoria village when an
armed gang of about 25 Maoists broke open the door of his
house last night.
They then dragged him down from his first floor
bedroom to his courtyard and fired at him from a close range.
The bullets pierced his head and heart killing Maiti on the
spot, police said.
Police was informed soon after incident and reached
the spot this morning as crossing the forest during the night
posed a threat to the personnel.
Joint force personnel were deployed in the area to
track down the assailants and the body has been sent for
The killing took place just a day after the PCPA,
frontal organisation of the Maoists, withdrew its month-long
indefinite blockade demanding scrapping of the joint force
operation and production of its arrested members at the court.
The blockade was launched on April 5 and withdrawn on
May 6 but life in the area was still to return to normal as
vehicles carrying passengers and goods were keeping off the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?