Maoists gun down CPI-M leader
Jhargram: In a midnight attack, armed Maoists dragged out a local CPI-M leader from his house and gunned him down at Lodhasoli in West Midnapore`s Jhargram area, police said on Saturday.
Sudhanshu Maiti (53), Lodhasoli local committee member
of CPI-M, was asleep in his house at Nahoria village when an
armed gang of about 25 Maoists broke open the door of his
house last night.
They then dragged him down from his first floor
bedroom to his courtyard and fired at him from a close range.
The bullets pierced his head and heart killing Maiti on the
spot, police said.
Police was informed soon after incident and reached
the spot this morning as crossing the forest during the night
posed a threat to the personnel.
Joint force personnel were deployed in the area to
track down the assailants and the body has been sent for
The killing took place just a day after the PCPA,
frontal organisation of the Maoists, withdrew its month-long
indefinite blockade demanding scrapping of the joint force
operation and production of its arrested members at the court.
The blockade was launched on April 5 and withdrawn on
May 6 but life in the area was still to return to normal as
vehicles carrying passengers and goods were keeping off the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price